DAY 2, OCTOBER 2
If you scratch deep enough, you’ll find a fear.
Everybody is afraid of something.
I’m afraid of heights.
And that includes bridges. (Did you know it’s called gephyrophobia?)
Last week Jeff and I toured through our home state of Alabama. In Selma, we wanted to walk across the infamous Edmund Pettus Bridge, the site of the horrific beatings on Bloody Sunday, March 21, 1965.
On that day 53 years ago, the marchers feared for their very lives.
On my day in 2018, I only feared falling off.
Facing my fear was much easier than what they faced.
What Are You Afraid Of?
As we look at our stories, we inevitably will uncover fears.
Sometimes we run to God when we’re scared. Sometimes we run away from God because we’re afraid of him.
Think about your reaction to things that make you afraid.
Here are our three questions of the day:
(1) Are you afraid of the dark?
(2) What is one fear you wish God would take away?
(3) What is a recent scare you’ve had, big or small?
* * *
What are your answers? Please share in the comments.
(1) I’m afraid of SOUNDS I hear in the dark.
(2) Among other fears, I’d like God to remove my fear of the unknown. But instead, he just keeps riding along with me head-on into the unknown.
(3) We had a mouse in the house a few weeks ago. I know it’s small and I’m big (comparatively), but the thought of it scurrying around my kitchen really bothered me.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Be Afraid
God knows we have dangerous tasks to do. Even if we’re afraid. Can he have courage for us?
- Are We Scared of the Wrong Things?
Instead of being scared for our safety, what if we took Jesus at his word and refused to be intimidated…welcoming whatever comes because God is with us?
- Everybody Is Scared of Something
If even a Navy SEAL can have fear, we can, too. Everybody is scared of something. But fear won’t win if we’ll go forward anyway.
- When Desire Is Greater Than Fear
Behind many of our fears is the lack of control. But the way to overcome fear isn’t to have more control; it’s to replace it with something stronger.
- Where Is God in Your Story? Handmade – A #Write31Days Series
- 5 Links, Books, and Things I Love – October 2018