Here are favorites from December and what I’m looking forward to in January of this new year! We share once a month at Leigh’s.
1 Second Everyday
~ * ~ * ~
Around the Web
• Proof that life is getting better for humanity, in 5 charts
Updated by Max Roser
While some think the world is getting worse, lots of things are much better.
• What House Guests REALLY Notice When They Visit
by Dabney Drake
“There’s really only a short list of things that really truly make a difference to your guests. Nail these things down and you guarantee a good visit every time.”
• New Poll Reveals Most Annoying Word to Americans
Of these 5 words, which is the most annoying to you?
Whatever. No offense, but… Ya know, right. I can’t even. Huge.
• 11 Everyday Items You Should Stop Using Right Now
Uh oh. I don’t use coffee pods, but I do use several of these other things.
~ * ~ * ~
• Still Puzzled By The Election? Authors Prescribe Fiction For Better Understanding
“In part, working-class anger is said to have fueled Trump’s victory; and to understand where that anger is coming from, some people are turning to books.”
• 6 Books that Will Change the Way You See the World
My friend Ashley sent me this list from Relevant Magazine. “Here’s a look at six books about poverty, injustice, faith, the criminal justice system and human rights that will change the way you see major issues, and provide insight in how to effect them.”
• 20 Life-Changing Nonfiction Books You Can Finish in a Day
This isn’t a new list, but I want to use it this year. From Modern Mrs. Darcy.
• 6 Books I Recommend
Books from my December reading
• My Top 10 Fiction and Nonfiction Books from 2016
It’s always hard to narrow this list down, but here it is.
• Currently Reading
- The Colors of Hope
Becoming People of Mercy, Justice, and Love
by Richard Dahlstrom
- Reading Your Life’s Story
An Invitation to Spiritual Mentoring
by Keith R. Anderson
- Wherever You Go, There You Are
by Jon Kabat-Zinn
A Woman’s Battle Plan to Serious, Specific and Strategic Prayer
by Priscilla Shirer
~ * ~ * ~
Things I Love
• More Wedding Pictures!
The pictures from Jenna and Trey’s October wedding were all posted last week! Here are a few of my favorites.
~ * ~ * ~
On the Blog
• Did Your 2016 Problems Go Away?
What problems did you start the year with? Did they go away? Have you encountered grace along the way?
• Do You Have a Word and An Audience?
I check the pockets before I put my shorts in the washer. I find words. Everybody has a word. Speak one. Hear one. Be a witness.
• Listen for the Other – Five Favorites of 2016
We are a divided nation in more ways than we realized. The first step toward healing? Listen more.
• People We Lost in 2016 and Last Words
We lost a lot of people in 2016. We say thank you.
* * *
What was one of your highlights from 2016? What are you looking forward to in 2017? Please share in the comments.
- On the Blog – December 2016
- Catch the Story – My One Word 2017