Apple makes us lots of promises.
Just take a bite. Whatever you need, there’s an app for that.
- Want directions? There’s the Maps app.
- Store your coupons? There’s the Wallet app.
- A Bible reading plan? There’s the YouVersion app.
- Need the forecast? There’s The Weather Channel app.
The fruit begs to gratify.
But we know better. Don’t we?
Apple can’t reach our deepest appetites. For satisfying relationships. For a life of significance. For a mission more meaningful than me.
Whatever we really need—direction, understanding, peace, joy—it’s God who has a grace for that. He alone is able to fully satisfy (2 Corinthians 9:8).
- Need help with a problem child? There’s a grace for that.
- Stuck in an unsatisfying job? There’s a grace for that.
- Can’t break an addictive habit? There’s a grace for that.
- Too much conflict with your partner? There’s a grace for that, too.
Whatever it, God has the power to either change the circumstance or change the other person or change us (Hebrews 4:16). That is his grace.
A year ago, could you have imagined the exact journey you are traveling this year? Would you have been overwhelmed if you’d foreseen each roadblock? Would it have been possible to stockpile every resource in advance that you were going to need?
Yet each step of our way, often only one step at a time, God has left us a gift—a gift of his grace—at the right place, in the right time, through the right person.
Grace is what he promises.
Grace is what we need.
Grace is what he gives.
“From his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.”
* * *
What unexpected gift of grace have you already received this year? Please share in the comments.
revised from the archives
- 5 Links, Books, and Things I Love – September 2018
- Reframing the Soul