We end this week.
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. . .
- You are the salt of the earth. . .
- Let your light shine before others. . .
But now we’ve reached the final verse in our memory challenge.
Yet the challenge continues.
Learning words is one thing.
Actually, it’s the easier thing. Living it out is another thing altogether.
So as we continue to solidify the words in our brains even in the weeks to come, we’ll also keep praying for them to sink into our hearts. Into our hands. Into our relationships.
If you want to do a quick study of your own through this section of the Sermon on the Mount, below is an index of articles we published on Matthew 5 at Do Not Depart this spring/summer.
- Jesus Sees Each One – Matthew 5:1
The first disciples had no idea what they were about to hear on that mountain. Do we?
- Are You Poor? – Matthew 5:2-3
Are you poor? Do you feed on God’s grace as a regular staple in your spiritual diet?
- A Flipped View of Strength – Matthew 5:4-5
How does Jesus flip our views of strength? Memorize Matthew 5:4-5 to see how mourning and meekness are blessed.
- It’s Not Wrong to Be Hungry – Matthew 5:6-7
What are you hungry for? Find satisfaction in showing mercy.
- How Do You See God? – Matthew 5:8-9
How do you see God? What does that mean?
- Blessed Are the Persecuted? – Matthew 5:10
Blessed are the persecuted. Really? Who? And how?
- How Can You Revile Me? – Matthew 5:11
How can we be reviled today? What did Jesus say about it?
- Are You Happy to Suffer? – Matthew 5:12
Why did Jesus say to rejoice in persecutions? Can anything good come from pain?
- Be Salty – Matthew 5:13
Jesus said that believers are salty. What does that mean? And are we?
- You ARE Light – Matthew 5:14
You aren’t light because you’re so brilliant. It’s because of Jesus inside of you. He is the light shining through.
- Where Do You Hide Your Light? Matthew 5:15
Don’t waste your light. Someone needs it to see by.
- Do Your Good Works – Matthew 5:16
What good works is God calling you to do this week? When you do them, you bring Him honor.
- Here on Purpose – Matthew 5:17
Jesus was here on purpose. Are we?
- Perfect to the Last Jot and Tittle – Matthew 5:18
Not a jot or a tittle would pass away. What did Jesus mean? Memorize Matthew 5:18 with us and discover.
- What You Do, What You Say – Matthew 5:19
You’re not invisible. What you do and say matters to more people than just yourself. Memorize Matthew 5:19 and see why.
* * *
- Do You Have to Know?
- 9 Books I Recommend – July 2018