- You cut your finger.
- I broke my arm (though not lately).
- She has cancer of the bone.
Who should we comfort the most?
Our rational brain says the most comfort should be saved for the cancer patient. And yes, give it there!
But we’re not limited in who we give comfort to. And it’s not a contest anyway.
Give comfort to the one you’re with. Including yourself.
My problems seem large when I look at my happy neighbor. But if I looked deeper at her life, I’d see her own portion of suffering.
Yet when I look at Ukraine and other hot spots around the world where there is intense life-and-death scenarios, my problems seem miniscule in comparison.
While there is value in putting our problems in perspective, we don’t need to negate our situation just because it’s less painful than someone else’s (or overvalue it if it’s more painful).
Give your problems the attention they’re due. Feel your pain. Deal with your trauma.
It’s how you will heal, and can help others heal.
It’s not either your trauma or mine. It’s both/and.
God gives us enough compassion to go around for everyone. Let’s use it.
For our featured post this week, Shannon reminds us that when we write off our own suffering, (1) we invalidate our emotions, which is unhealthy, and (2) we can succumb to toxic positivity, which can cause even more suffering in the long run.
Read Shannon’s post in its entirety here, then link up your own posts below:
Have you felt guilty about your own “small” angst this month in comparison to Ukraine and other trauma around the world? What has helped you? Share your thoughts in the comments.
Thanks for sharing, Shannon! Here’s a button for your blog.
1. Share 1 or 2 of your most recent CHRISTIAN LIVING posts. (No DIY, crafts, recipes, or inappropriate articles.) All links are randomly sorted.
2. Comment on 1 or 2 other links. Grace & Truth linkup encourages community.
3. Every host features one entry from the previous week. To be featured, include this button or link back here on your post (mandatory to be featured, but not to participate).
We encourage you to follow our hosts on their blogs or social media.
Now Let’s Link Up!
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!Click here to enter
- My One Word Update for March
- Don’t Look Away. These 5 things will happen to you too.