Daytime Work/Nighttime Rest
Does your mind work overtime too? It’s hard to close down my brain at the end of the day.
And when I wake up at 2 a.m.? There it goes again.
But as you’ve heard me write about in the past, one thing that really helps me tremendously is scripture memorization.
When I wake up and can’t go back to sleep, I call upon my daytime work with God to ease me back into nighttime rest with God. I need a relaxed mindset of security, of dependency on God’s goodness, to rock me back to sleep.
I don’t always go back to sleep, granted. Insomnia is kind of my thing the past few years.
But even if I stay awake, meditating on the beauty of God protects my mind from going too crazy.
Recalling scripture isn’t just for nighttime, of course. In the daylight I ask God to shift the words from my head to my heart. It requires a move of the Spirit for it to happen.
Scripture memorization isn’t for everyone. We each respond to different things. But for me? It’s a gift of grace.
We’ve just started memorizing Matthew 7 last week with Do Not Depart. It’s not too late to join in, if you’d like to give it a try. Get the details here.
This week’s featured post explains how Mariel moved from shame to grace through renewing her mind on God’s messages to her in Romans 12:2 and Psalm 103:12.
Her story will encourage you to keep memorizing scripture, even when it gets laborious or difficult.
Read Mariel’s post here, then link your own blog post below. Let’s encourage each other to stay aware of Christ’s presence in the ways that work for each of us.
Thanks for sharing, Mariel! Here’s a button for your blog.
1. Share 1 or 2 of your most recent CHRISTIAN LIVING posts. (No DIY, crafts, recipes, or inappropriate articles.) All links are randomly sorted.
2. Comment on 1 or 2 other links. Grace & Truth linkup encourages community.
3. Every host features one entry from the previous week. To be featured, include this button or link back here on your post (mandatory to be featured, but not to participate).
We encourage you to follow our hosts on their blogs or social media.
Now Let’s Link Up!
Do you memorize scripture, too? Any tips to share? A favorite verse? Please share your thoughts in the comments.
- 3 Tips to Make a Better Internet by Taming Our Digital Tongues
- Can You Change Your Emotions by Changing Your Thoughts?